BrooklynSpeaks is an initiative of civic associations, community-based organizations, and advocacy groups concerned about the future of development at the Atlantic Yards site. The current active sponsors of BrooklynSpeaks are
- The Atlantic Avenue Local Development Corporation
- The Boerum Hill Association
- The Brooklyn Heights Association
- The Congress for New Urbanism (New York Chapter)
- The Fifth Avenue Committee
- The Park Slope Civic Council
- The Pratt Area Community Council
- The Prospect Heights Neighborhood Development Council
- Tri State Transportation Campaign
The BrooklynSpeaks initiative launched in September of 2006 with the announcement of a set of principles for development at the Atlantic Yards site. Since then, more than 5700 people have signed in support of the BrooklynSpeaks principles.
Since the approval of the Atlantic Yards plan by the State of New York in December of 2006, the BrooklynSpeaks sponsors have advocated for transparency by State and City government with respect to project governance, as well as for the involvement of the public in the decision-making process. We have also drawn attention to adverse environmental impacts of the plan that remain to be fully and properly addressed.
The sponsors continue to work to create a dialog among residents, Community Boards, elected officials and State and City agencies around responsible development at the Atlantic Yards site that meets Brooklyn's needs and addresses the concerns of surrounding neighborhoods, while maintaining accountability to the taxpayers of the City and the State.